Poisonous Foods

Due to the fact that dogs have a very acute sense of smell, it is not surprising that when we eat something tasty they are tempted to have some themselves. Either they’ll attempt to steal this food or “beg” with pleading eyes. Of course, it is up to owners as to what treats are given and so it is very important to know which foods can and cannot be consumed by these lovable pets. The results of feeding a dog the wrong foodstuff, can sometimes prove to be disastrously fatal.

Pet dogs should be kept away from rubbish bins and other sources of foods which may be left on tables or kitchen counters. Ideally, if owners take their dogs off the leash in the park or otherwise and the dog persistently eats foods it finds on the ground, a muzzle might be necessary until the dog is adequately trained to understand and obey the command “leave”. If a dog is suspected to have eaten something that may have been poisonous, then veterinary aid should be sought immediately.

Why Dogs Should Not Eat Chocolate

Many owners do not believe that chocolate harms their dog because having given it before, they may have seen no obvious adverse effects. Not only does feeding these pets chocolate mean that the dog will constantly crave and eat more of it but it also means they are ingesting a very dangerous toxin which can go as far as killing dogs. It is extremely important for dog owners to be aware of this danger so that they are discouraged from feeding chocolate to their pets.

The toxin present in chocolate is known as theobromine and is called a stimulant. Humans can metabolise this stimulant relatively quickly although the body of a dog has trouble doing so. As a result, theobromine can remain in a dog’s system for around twenty hours. Large dogs are less likely to be affected but can still have dangerous effects if they consume even a quarter of what a human can eat. This being said, no chocolate should be given to any type of dog.

The heart and nervous system can be detrimentally affected by a toxic dose of chocolate. Theobromine will cause the heart to beat faster and lead to hyperactivity. Muscle twitching may also be observed. One problem is that it can lead to is an irregular heartbeat, or cardiac arrhythmia, and heart attacks. It can also lead to epileptic seizures and internal bleeding. Hyperthermia and excess panting can be noticed following the ingestion of theobromine. Theobromine will lead to increased urination, vomiting, and diarrhoea. Dehydration will also follow. Overall, it can actually result in the death of the animal. 

Why Dogs Should Never Eat Grapes or Raisins

This is not the first food type that the majority of owners think of when deciding on a treat for their dogs but even so, dogs should be prevented from gaining access to these substances. The exact quantity if unknown as to how much will seriously harm a dog due to the fact that the statistics are so varied. The reasons for the problems are not yet known since there have been no certain types of grapes which can be identified as the causal products. Grapes that have seeds, are seedless, have been grown with or without fertilisers or pesticides have all been seen to adversely affect dogs.

The affected dog may vomit and experience diarrhoea, both of which can lead to dehydration. The dog may become thirstier than normal, be reluctant to eat, and show signs of abdominal pain. The main problem with grapes and raisons is that it can lead to acute renal failure in the dogs that have ingested these foods. It can also result in the affected dog being unable to produce urine. After the animals have experienced these effects, it is likely that they can die.

Why Dogs Should Never Eat Onions

No one imagines simply feeding raw onions to dogs and it is true that this is a rare occurrence. However, onions are present on pizzas, hamburgers and other foods which dogs may get a hold of. Baby foods can also contain onions. Whether the onion is raw, cooked, in powdered form or dried, it can still be harmful if ingested depending on the amount. Therefore, always check food products for onions before feeding the dog.

Onions can cause liver damage, anaemia, and diarrhoea. Onions contain sulphoxides and disulphides. Thiosulphates present in onions damage the red blood cells in dogs by making them rupture and this is what leads to anaemia. Eventually there may be a failure of heart due to the reduced number of red blood cells. The other signs and symptoms produced are jaundice due to the liver damage, vomiting, lethargy, lack of appetite, increased heart rate, having trouble breathing, bloody urine.

Why Dogs Should Not Eat Cat Food

Cat food is not suitable for dogs due to their fat and protein content. It would not be completely true to say that it is poisonous but it can cause serious stomach and digestive problems. Additionally, the dog will become obese and this in itself can cause many problems such as heart disease and diabetes. Needless to say, feeding cat food to dogs will not provide all the nutrients and vitamins the dogs require.

Why Dogs Should Never Drink Alcohol and Beer

Alcohol presents the same problems to dogs as it does humans. That is to say the liver can be extremely adversely affected. Additionally, the effects it has on the mind can really scare and stress out the dog. Beer, in particular, can pose even more problems. This is because the plant “hops” used to make beer causes fatal malignant hyperthermia in dogs. This means that the dog will experience a very high temperature, an increase heart rate, and increased respiration. Overall, it is very irresponsible to allow dogs to drink any kind of alcoholic drink.


You can now get advice online 24/7 from a qualified vet: Ask a Vet Online Now

Close Bitnami banner